Lunch Buns / Hamburger Buns / Soup Buns
Paleo - Gluten-free - Dairy-free
Author: Michele Rosen Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Cooling Time: 20 mins
Servings: 10 buns
· 2 ¼ cups blanched almond flour
· 1 ½ cups tapioca flour
· ½ cup golden flaxseed meal
· 1 tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp baking soda
· ¾ tsp fine sea salt or Herbamare
· ¼ cup avocado oil or melted refined coconut oil
· 2/3 cup warm water
· 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
· 1 tbsp raw honey melted
· 2 eggs room temperature, whisked
· Sesame seeds for garnish
egg wash: 1 egg white + 1/2 tbsp water
1. Preheat your oven to 350° F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca, flaxseed meal, baking powder and baking soda and salt.
3. In a measuring cup, combine the oil, water, vinegar, and honey. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour this mixture into the well, then stir. Add the eggs one at a time until well combined and a thick batter/sticky dough forms.
4. Using a large scoop or spoon scoop the batter in about 1/4-1/3 cup scoops onto the prepared baking sheet about 2” apart to make 8-10 hamburger buns. You might need two baking sheets for all the buns. (An ice-cream scoop worked well for me - I bought a large one for burger buns and smaller scoop for lunch or soup buns). Whisk together the egg white and water in a small bowl and brush over the tops, then sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes or until set and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow the buns to cool almost to room temperature before carefully slicing. If not serving right away, you can store them for up to a day loosely covered at room temperature, or freeze them for later use. Thaw and gently reheat in a toaster oven to serve after freezing. Enjoy!